[Swansea Hackspace] Minutes of Introductory Meeting 2013-04-02

Steven Whitehouse steve at chygwyn.com
Thu Apr 4 17:44:53 BST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 17:42 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:56:48 +0100
> Justin Mitchell <justin at discordia.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> > thanks to all of those that were able to make it to last nights meeting.
> >
> > I have quickly typed up the notes i took, please let me know if there's
> > anything you feel i forgot or got wrong.
> >
> > http://swansea.hackspace.org.uk/meetings/
>

> On the H&S side - you can't just "avoid" things you need to do proper
> risk assessments. 3D printers are actually quite dangerous devices with
> high temperature heads waving around exuding hot plastics. In addition
> several of the offered kits contain design flaws (notably the wrong grade
> of glass for heat beds meaning condensation can shatter them), and many of
> the materials they print emit hazardous fumes.
>
> If they were operating in an industrial environment they'd require proper
> screens, an interlocked lid, safety goggles etc when in use, plus for many
> materials also ventilation.

That is one reason that using the University ones is attractive - we
wouldn't need to come into contact either with the machines or with the
solutions used to dissolve the support material after the item(s) have
been printed. Just a question of submitting payment & design and waiting
for the result :-)

Steve.