[Swansea Hackspace] Minutes of Introductory Meeting 2013-04-02

Tom Lloyd napalmllama at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 18:09:19 BST 2013

Doing risk assessments is a pain, but when you consider that the
alternative is sometime being seriously injured or poisoned, or us being
sued or shut down, it's kind of worth it.

Normally what you do is have a rule where before you can use a machine, you
have to be trained by a "competent person". This person doesn't have to
have a recognised qualification, although that obviously wouldn't hurt.
Then if something bad happens, the fault lies either with the operator for
not following training, or with the trainer for not training effectively.
Thus competency is self-policing: if you suck at training, YOU could
potentially be in hot water.
If the organisation has carried out a full risk assessment then the injured
party wouldn't have much of a case against them.
We would need to risk assess the area where work is carried out, and any
tasks done within that area, then review these assessments on e.g. an
annual basis. People would be signed off as trained for certain kit, and
these records would be kept safe in case they were needed as proof after an
accident.

All of this applies to us, but I imagine the HSE would cut us a bit more
slack than a commercial organisation, given our size and lack of resources.
I will ask about ways to protect against civil claims - waivers, etc.

Does anyone know what kind of H&S management structure established
hackspaces employ?

-- Tom