[Swansea Hackspace] Minutes of Introductory Meeting 2013-04-02

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Apr 4 20:20:24 BST 2013

> All of this applies to us, but I imagine the HSE would cut us a bit more
> slack than a commercial organisation, given our size and lack of resources.

Size is pretty irrelevant but you get a lot of slack for not being a
business. Roughly the view is that people who are involved in
something and choose to do it for the fun of it are much less protected.
Blowing yourself up is bad, blowing employees up is very bad, blowing up
passing members of the public up is extremely bad 8). That's reflected in
things like the usual ALARP value assignments.

> I will ask about ways to protect against civil claims - waivers, etc.

Part of that is just carrying appropriate insurance as a group. You need
that anyway because there are many situations (such as burning down the
building) where you are liable even if you were not careless with the
matches.

Alan