[Swansea Hackspace] What do you want from a hackspace?

J C jc2k_1 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 16 18:35:05 GMT 2013

Hi all,
I'd never heard the term hackspace before until today when it was covered on BBC Click!Glad to see there's interest in the Swansea area.
I took Electronic & Electrical Engineering in Swansea uni and have been in Software Engineering for public & private sector for a few years now.
I've got a fair stock of components I'd be willing to share when we get a venue, and some experience in web development if you would like to add some features to the website (project lists, component/equipment lists, member profiles, discussion boards, chat rooms etc.)
I think it would be useful to arrange some informal meet ups - maybe a pub somewhere or the dining room at Swansea uni's Fulton House block (lots of space + coffee) - just for us to get to know each other and bat around some ideas. How about the first Saturday of every month, for instance?
In terms of getting more people interested, how about a Facebook group, flyers in uni's engineering/comp sci departments, collages and schools...that sort of thing.It might be nice to get some contact with other hackspace groups, see what they've done to spread the word.
James