[Swansea Hackspace] Re: Hackspace Digest, Vol 6, Issue 7

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Jun 19 12:46:06 BST 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 12:21 +0100, Tim Moore wrote:
> Quote "The Programming device i was using was a PICkit 2"
>
> so what do I search for on Ebay to locate a cheapie version from
> China?
>
> the Farnell is is at least available but if China do one at half the
> price.

'pickit 2 clone' i see one for £11.66

or get a 'pickit 3' if you want better features.

> I got the software running on another laptop, not sure how to
> configure/use use it and I assume I enter the 'C' code and make a hex
> file from with the IDE.

The handout went through all the steps for writing the software, other
than the (hopefuly obvious) step of clicking 'build'

the reason i was using the hex file is that the pickit 2 driver thats
built into mplab doesn't believe it can talk to a 12F1840, but the stand
alone (seperate download) one does.

mplab believes you need a pickit 3 for that device, but they may well
update the software eventually.