[Swansea Hackspace] Location

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 11 23:48:44 GMT 2013

On 11/03/2013 22:56, Justin Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 19:13 +0000, Tom Lloyd wrote:
>> Can everyone reply to this saying roughly where they live, please?
>> Then we can choose somewhere that's in the middle.
> Brynmill.
>
> Would be able to give a lift to others for events.
>
> I have kept out of the debate so far as i am unable to attend anything
> this month, maybe next month.
>
> Whilst having an informal social to get to know the other people may be
> a thing people want to do, I feel strongly that any kind of discussion
> about making the space happen should be kept strictly to the list, so
> that -everybody- can join in, and we have a record to refer back to.

There is a very serious problem with that Justin. The list is extremely
public. People who
are knowledgeable about the net, and that should include all of us, are
naturally inhibited
about what they can say on the public internet.

Also can I point out that at some point we are likely to be involved in
commercial negotiations for
a property lease or something, or possibly applications for money.

Commercial negotiations could be compromised by saying something
publicly about something.
Applications for money, likewise. For example, do you remember "Agent Sage"?
For those who don't, he was a crazy bigot who advertised mail order
brides, told everyone he was a spy and made poisonous comments on
another list
that Justin ran. He  went off to America and married some kind of member
of the Christian Taliban.

Should a similar person join this list,would you want potential
landlords or funders to read that and perhaps form
a conclusion about our group?

It is a natural part of human biology that we world best when we
interact socially. We have NOT evolved to interact socially
in an electronic world. If we want to properly succeed we need to base
that success on how the human mind naturally
works and not be overly romantically attached to the internet world.
After all we all live close to each other in global terms.

We have already found how flawed internet discussions are in trying to
find a time and place to meet. It could give the impression that we
could not
organise a bacchanalian orgy in a brewery, which is probably far from
the truth.

I am quite sure that you will find that successful hackspaces are
founded on proper face to face interactions outside cyberspace.

Neil