[Swansea Hackspace] What next

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 24 00:33:30 GMT 2013

On 23/03/2013 20:45, Tom Lloyd wrote:
> Haha, what did I say?  Cwmbwrla!  I don't know anything about it
> beyond where it is; is it still occupied?
>
> I guess we need to consider security too.  Wherever we choose, if we
> keep tools there it could become a target for thieves.  Do other
> hackspaces have problems with this?
>
> -- Tom
Hang on! You can't just rent premises used for one thing at the moment
and turn it into a hackspace.
You may need planning permission for the change of use
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/changeofuse/
When there are planning applications neighbours are consulted. This is
why we should have a closed list that is not internet searchable.
Since we are not going to create any more noise and disturbance than a
normal person quietly living at home, I can't see a problem
I am not the planning officer who decides on these matters though. It is
quite likely that an ideal place would need change of use permission.

The moment anyone posts a message about a particular place we are open
to misguided planning objections which could jeopardise the project.
We are going to find ourselves discussing legal matters, in effect. It
is not wise to do so in public!

Neil