[Swansea Hackspace] Locations around the train station

Etched Pixels alan at etchedpixels.co.uk
Sun Mar 24 14:47:51 GMT 2013

> Now I should note that they currently asking about £5000/year rent for a commercial business. However, the housing association is very amenable to things like hackspaces, and would let us have it for a cheaper rate. Let’s just say that using ballpark figures and an estimated 20 members, we could rent the space, and pay for water/electricity/etc., for a £20 membership fee.

20 x 20 x 12 = £4800, so once you've included power bills, rates,
insurance you'd be way under. Allow for the need for a margin for
contingency and the fact rent is likely to be longer term with people
dropping out and you are way under.

£5K for that kind of space plus rates plus bills plus insurance is about
what I would expect. Also you may want to check what happens if the let
it at a cheaper rate - a lot of arrangements like that include clauses
where they get to boot you out with a months notice the day a full paying
tenant shows up. Not a big deal for an Oxfam but rather more for a
hackspace perhaps ?

> They have various other spaces available as well. There is one higher up in High Street, which is more “bare bones” than this one, and also one on the 2nd floor of a building in Wind Street. I’m quite confident that they want to work with us to find a suitable space, as they want to improve the area for their tenants and not just make money. So I think it will be a good idea to determine how many of us will be committed to a monthly membership fee to get this off the ground.

Without having met most of the other people I couldn't say.

Alan