[Swansea Hackspace] Costs and liabilities

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Mar 27 09:39:18 GMT 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 09:07 +0000, Steven Whitehouse wrote:

> As soon as there are premises, we'd need public liability insurance, and
> also someone has to be in charge of health and safety.

A quick search around finds a couple of references to uk hackspaces
paying in the region of £140/yr for PLI.

There are going to be plenty of things costing money, as well as the
organisational aspects.

Off the top of my head costs i can think of are :-

1) the rent
2) business rates
3) electricity bill
4) water rates (assuming it has plumbing)
5) public liability insurance
6) internet connection

and thats before we even look at the spend for furnishing and kitting
the place out.

It is possible that we may be able to apply to the council for
Discretionary Rate Relief off the business rates bill, their website is
vague on the subject but mentions non-profits concerned with education,
science, etc.   We will need to locate the relevant people and enquire.

I'm sure i will have forgotten something off this list, but its a
starting point.