[Swansea Hackspace] What next

Paul Harwood paul at harwood-leon.com
Wed Mar 27 10:06:09 GMT 2013

Hi Steven,

I wholeheartedly agree with your concerns. Which is exactly why any hackspace/hackerspace should look at the appetite for a hackspace in Swansea before considering any serious outlay. There are obviously too few members to justify even speaking about a generously sized leased or hired premises currently.

A donated premises, one that is part of another setup is going to be hard to find and also nearly always comes with conditions. If they fit then fine, but I remember reading about hackspaces needing to exist pretty independently because if the charity stops or relationship breaks down (hopefully not because of fire) then it can create a huge issue for the hackspace.

Most of the issues you have raised are also genuine concerns for active hackspaces and need a vigilant committee to work through. I said 'plan for success' because, if the hackspace in Swansea does grow to 50 active members in two years (quite possible) and you have all those systems and processes in place, you don't really want to have to move premises as Bristol are now forced to do because of lack of space. Equally, you don't want the rent to go into arrears in the first 6 months.

If this is going to be done properly then a simple business case should be drawn up by the group, the core of any business case is demand for the service or product. Without that figure (or a good estimate of that figure), it's all rearranging raindrops.

So, flyering the places most likely to turn up members will be one way to gauge the levels. Plus, no one will have to worry about COSHH if no one turns up :)

Some good tips here -

http://hackspace.org.uk/view/Starting_a_Hackerspace

-- Paul