[Swansea Hackspace] Articles of association, or the constitution of our hackspace

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Oct 10 17:20:15 BST 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-10 at 16:41 +0100, Gerrit Niezen wrote:

> Things that need attention:
> - 13(b) they require a quorum of 10 members at a general meeting - we
> may need to reduce this for the time being

For a large group i can see a fixed number being inviting, but for a
small group a percentage.

Perhaps a suitable compromise would be something like:

a quorum of 10 members, or 50% of the current membership, whichever is
the smaller.

> - 24(b) "the number of directors shall not be less than three, nor
> more than nine" - I think we could change this to a minimum of two,
> but then we need to modify (26) as well

I am unsure why they have quite such a convoluted mechanism here, there
clearly needs to be some mechanism for the members to elect new
directors should they feel it is required, but routinely doing this just
generates more paperwork to be filed with companies house each time.

Perhaps there needs to be a section 33 choice of removal of a director
by special resolution.

> - 35(d) London Hackspace uses a web based system for the decision
> making process - if we're not going to do the same, we should remove
> this clause
I think their clauses are too specific, i think it would be better to
use more ambiguous language that permits voting on resolutions without a
physical meeting as long as it is open to everyone of the appropriate
membership class, and is communicated (by whatever we have specified is
the offical communication channel) to them with reasonable notice. eg 10
days.