[Swansea Hackspace] Articles of association, or the constitution of our hackspace

Gerrit Niezen gerrit.niezen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 20:02:59 BST 2013

> a quorum of 10 members, or 50% of the current membership, whichever is
> the smaller.

I've changed the draft to reflect this.

>> - 24(b) "the number of directors shall not be less than three, nor
>> more than nine" - I think we could change this to a minimum of two,
>> but then we need to modify (26) as well
>
> I am unsure why they have quite such a convoluted mechanism here, there
> clearly needs to be some mechanism for the members to elect new
> directors should they feel it is required, but routinely doing this just
> generates more paperwork to be filed with companies house each time.

I think this is intended just to give the opportunity for members to choose new directors at the AGM, but usually the same directors would be re-elected. I remember Tom Lake mentioning this at the last meeting, maybe he could give some clarification?

>> - 35(d) London Hackspace uses a web based system for the decision
>> making process - if we're not going to do the same, we should remove
>> this clause
> I think their clauses are too specific, i think it would be better to
> use more ambiguous language that permits voting on resolutions without a
> physical meeting as long as it is open to everyone of the appropriate
> membership class, and is communicated (by whatever we have specified is
> the offical communication channel) to them with reasonable notice. eg 10
> days.

I've sent an e-mail to One Click Orgs to find out if they are willing to provide us with a similar Governance system.

Please everyone, if you want to comment or give feedback, now is your chance! :) The direct link to the latest version of the draft is here (.pdf):
https://github.com/swanseahackspace/documentation/blob/master/constitution/articles.pdf?raw=true