[Swansea Hackspace] Suggestions for website

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Aug 15 15:11:58 BST 2014

On Fri, 2014-08-15 at 01:17 +0100, Graham Owens wrote:
> For the useful links section i would like to add www.bitsbox.co.uk to
> the components section.
I have also added another such site that i have used, their delivery
charge starts from a couple of quid and goes down with order size.

> Also could a section be added to the resources for simple 'parts of
> circuits' not the right words, but for example a simple 7805 regulator
> with caps, how to connect a ldr/thermister/switch/etc to an input for
> both dark on/dark off operation. How to do the same for outputs, how
> to switch a relay from an arduino/pic - i know many people have killed
> their processors connecting directly to a relay.

Yes, a general 'electronics' section would be a good idea, i already
have a couple of generic topics i wrote as part of my PIC workshops,
stuff like what a voltage divider is and how you use it, current
limiting resistors for LEDs, stuff like that.

I can setup sections like that to be edited by anyone, but i might wait
a few days whilst i figure out how to make it edited only by members
before i throw it open.

> Are there plans to to add project pages to the site so users can
> upload stuff they are working on and write a little about it for
> others to learn from or make suggestions too.

This is what i set out to do when i ended up created the individual
members pages. With the hope that people would write a little bit about
themselves and talk about their projects.

If theres enough demand for it i will create a separate Projects area,
but an empty and neglected page looks worse than none at all, and the
menu structure is already a bit crowded.