[Swansea Hackspace] 40W CO2 Laser

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Thu Dec 18 18:30:43 GMT 2014

I was thinking that jobs would probably be in the order of mins. So yes, £5
sounds reasonable to me.

Unless I don't have much change on me I always chuck a minimum of a quid
into the pot for suing the 3d printer.

I am sure everybody else must do the same.

You won't get a beer for less than £3 in most places now, a quid for just
over 10 mins fun on a laser cutter would be a bargain!

On 18 December 2014 at 18:24, Justin Mitchell <
justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk> wrote:

> Other hackspaces have suggested that a suitable rate is £5 an hour by
> the time you cover all the costs involved, the mirrors do gradually
> degenerate as well as the laser tube and other parts.
>
> but then, unlike the 3d printer, a job should take minutes not hours.
>

> On Thu, 2014-12-18 at 18:18 +0000, Emyr Morris wrote:
> > if we ask our members to pay £1 per laser burn hour for the use of the
> > machine then we should more than cover the cost of
> > repairs/replacement/upkeep of the machine!
> >
> > :-)
> >

> > On 18 December 2014 at 18:15, Justin Mitchell
> > <justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk> wrote:
> >         You did however correctly identify the type of tube we would
> >         need to buy
> >         at regular intervals when they burn out, cheap ones claim a
> >         life of 1000
> >         hours, but can often be much less.
> >
> >         £110 is roughly the bottom end of the market from what i've
> >         seen,
> >         although i was pushing for the 50W version for our starter
> >         machine
> >

> >         On Thu, 2014-12-18 at 18:03 +0000, Ceri Clatworthy wrote:
> >         > Spoil sport !!
> >         >
> >         > On 18 Dec 2014 17:42, "Justin Mitchell"
> >         > <justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk> wrote:
> >         >         On Thu, 2014-12-18 at 17:20 +0000, Ceri Clatworthy
> >         wrote:
> >         >         >
> >         >

> http://www.banggood.com/40W-CO2-Carbon-Dioxide-Laser-Tube-Laser-Cutter-Part-p-958940.html
> >         >         >
> >         >
> >         >         > what do we need to drive it ??
> >         >         > we can make our own ..
> >         >
> >         >         A sturdy X/Y mechanism
> >         >         a high voltage laser psu
> >         >         stepper motors and driver board
> >         >         water circulation pump
> >         >         set of the mirrors and focussing head
> >         >         honeycomb cutting bed
> >         >         air pump for the cutting head
> >         >         air vent pump for the box ventillation
> >         >         and most important of all a big metal LIGHT PROOF
> >         box to keep
> >         >         it all in.
> >         >
> >         >         building your own works only if you are building a
> >         toy 1W one
> >         >         that cuts
> >         >         paper, or you are building a really big one and have
> >         >         metalwork shop to
> >         >         fabricate it with.
> >         >
> >         >

> [...]