[Swansea Hackspace] Text Editor for code...

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Nov 5 22:34:46 GMT 2014

> > On 5 Nov 2014, at 16:04, Emyr Morris <em at preseli.com> wrote:
> >
> > > There is a short cut to get a selected word into the find dialogue
> > > - right click to get the context menu and then select 'Use
> > > Selection For Find' - Again, I need to see if I can configure a
> > > short cut to streamline this.

Glad someone else chipped in with vim, i was holding back for fear of
being too nerdy and old school :)

On Wed, 2014-11-05 at 21:07 +0000, Paul Harwood wrote:
> in vim this is

> /searchphrase

if you have :set hlsearch
then it will highlight every occurance of the last search string, but i
turn it off by default as i find it annoying

> / + [enter]
not sure what this was intended to be

as for "get selected word into the search box" thats simply move the
cursor to a word and hit the '*' key to immediately jump to the next
occurrence of it.

or if you have run ctags in your source tree then ctrl-] will jump you
to where that var/function is defined. (ctrl-t jumps you back)

> vim is such a good editor, I have tried the rest
> (sublime/atom/textwrangler...) and always come back to vim.
apart from a brief dalliance with micro-emacs in the early 90s all i
have ever used is vi and derivatives.  nothing else quite matches up for
speed and ease of use down an overloaded 64k leased line with
multi-second round trip times :)

these days i favour gvim and also use a bunch of plugins:
airline, syntastic, tagbar, signify and autocomplpop

> And then there's always http://vimawesome.com/
hadnt seen this site before, maybe i will discover some more neat
plugins :)