[Swansea Hackspace] Text Editor for code...

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Wed Nov 5 23:09:20 GMT 2014

Vim is shell?

I do very little in shell as I can have forty plus scripts open at once in
tabs.

For the little text editing I do on my Pi (over SSH) I tend to use nano, it
is simple and that is all that matters. For live website I prefer to work
local, check my files then FTF them to the server, always felt safer doing
it the slow way

BB Edit is customisable, got the shortcut I needed working, and there is
another key combination. To do what I wanted to do all along. Notepad++ on
Windows was so much simpler, highlight a word and hit CTRL+F, as simple as
that, why is it that people have to over-complicate things?! I was taught
by my guru that computers are here to make life simpler, and good coding
should accomplish that, and not make everyday tasks overly complicated

On Wednesday, 5 November 2014, Justin Mitchell <justin at discordia.org.uk>
wrote:

> Glad someone else chipped in with vim, i was holding back for fear of
> being too nerdy and old school :)
>
> On Wed, 2014-11-05 at 21:07 +0000, Paul Harwood wrote:
> > in vim this is
>
> > /searchphrase
>
> if you have :set hlsearch
> then it will highlight every occurance of the last search string, but i
> turn it off by default as i find it annoying
>
> > / + [enter]
> not sure what this was intended to be
>

> as for "get selected word into the search box" thats simply move the
> cursor to a word and hit the '*' key to immediately jump to the next
> occurrence of it.
>
> or if you have run ctags in your source tree then ctrl-] will jump you
> to where that var/function is defined. (ctrl-t jumps you back)
>
> > vim is such a good editor, I have tried the rest
> > (sublime/atom/textwrangler...) and always come back to vim.
> apart from a brief dalliance with micro-emacs in the early 90s all i
> have ever used is vi and derivatives.  nothing else quite matches up for
> speed and ease of use down an overloaded 64k leased line with
> multi-second round trip times :)
>
> these days i favour gvim and also use a bunch of plugins:
> airline, syntastic, tagbar, signify and autocomplpop
>

> > And then there's always http://vimawesome.com/
> hadnt seen this site before, maybe i will discover some more neat
> plugins :)

Mob: 07836 267426