[Swansea Hackspace] New Rasp pi A+

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Mon Nov 17 11:16:01 GMT 2014

if that kit was 299 I would buy it without hesitation, shame it is soooooo
expensive! the 'normal' price is just plain silly

And yes, that kit is wasteful - I had looked at the individual bits when
they went up on display in Maplin, I thought they were all very overpriced.
Considering they sell the components, and doing it yourself either with
perf or breadboard is so easy.

Heck, you could ugly the more complicated things anyway.

All the messing about I have done with various sensors etc for arduino I
have never seen the need for a module such as what they sell there.

The ONLY reason I could see to get those modules is if you bought a few
hundred for a classroom for teaching sensors etc to children, I would guess
that the components would then be more re-usable then for multiple lessons,
but in real life you build stuff to last or you while designing you make it
on a breadboard and re-use the components

On 17 November 2014 11:14, Ian Bullfrog <sevendev.tk at gmail.com> wrote:

> OH great! cheers will have a look :) yeah I noticed the guff bits..... I
> thought Id have a quick look in Maplins. they are selling the same items
> one at a time of course, for up to about a fiver each.
> ouch.
> but I did treat myself to a wierd little "Cobbler" break out thing they
> had there that Ive not seen in other places.
>
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/gpio-board-with-terminal-
> block-for-raspberry-pi-n31nt
>
> just little spring connected clips for when you cant be bothered to
> actually breadboard things but just want to connect stuff.
>
> on about maplins bargain prices..... *cough*
> they have just knocked 200 quid off their velleman 3d printer ..... kit.
> If I paid that much for a 2nd hand car, I wouldnt want to have to build it
> aswell :p
>
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/velleman-k8200-3d-printer-kit-n82qg
>
> and yes, Emyr....£37! so I was hoping someone else had a better source.
>
> I'll check out the Ali express site now.
> and I may try and get in to the social thing this evening if its one.
> anything planned for it?
> Ive not been to one for ....er.....umm........er.........ummm

Mob: 07836 267426