[Swansea Hackspace] One day our space will be as wild as this

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Fri Nov 21 14:30:12 GMT 2014

On Fri, 2014-11-21 at 14:08 +0000, Paul Harwood wrote:

> I have 3 x raspberry Pi on order for some digital signage and some
> monitors to put up. Perhaps we can organise a “ideas for techhub
> access system” workshop? Esp. as we now have some hardware to base it
> upon.
I'm sure we can, the signage project should be reasonably simple, and
fun to knock together.

> I am thinking of buying a thumb scanning system which would unlock
> doors - but not set alarms. What are your thoughts on that? Only fob
> holders would be able to unset/set alarms.
I know that you can get rewritable keyfobs for the frequency that the
alarm/door system uses, and that keyfob cloning devices are readily
available, which makes me wonder if its possible to have a computer
controlled device that appears as if it is a keyfob of a specific ID.

if you could, then your replacement door lock system could
electronically present a keyfob to the alarm system to disarm it.

no idea if such a circuit exists, perhaps someone else knows more ?

but as for a thumb/fingerprint scanner, the accuracy on those is not
great (i have played with them, and written fingerprint matching
systems) if your going to the trouble of installing an extra box then an
alternate rfid device that you control is perhaps easier.