[Swansea Hackspace] RC522 RFID module from China...

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Sun Oct 26 13:29:02 GMT 2014

On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 12:47 +0000, djdavies83 wrote:

> I started playing with RFID tags using my Galaxy Note3, turns out the
> mifare, myflare? Are not compatible with a lot of mobiles.

Yes RFID != NFC, there is a big overlap, but they are not strictly the
same.

Mifare is a proprietary (NXP) standard within the ISO14443 standard
NFC is a different standard within ISO14443

Mobile phones have NFC support, some of them use chips made by NXP to do
this, which means they also support the mifare standard. Phones/devices
that get the NFC support from Broadcom or others do not support it.

btw Mifare is the basis of oystercard, the dutch chipkaart, and many
many other transport and door access systems around the world.

Hope that clarifies things for you :)