[Swansea Hackspace] RC522 RFID module from China...

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Sun Oct 26 19:29:46 GMT 2014

The RC552 support ISO1443-A (The Mifare Classic)

All your bank cards / Oyster are 14443-B

The RC552 does not support 14443-B!

Testing here with a HTC Android NFC enabled phone - the HTC reads both
14443-A and the 14443-B cards - it obviously does not have the keys to read
the encrypted data on the debit/credit/oyster cards

Em

On 26 October 2014 13:29, Justin Mitchell <justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk>
wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 12:47 +0000, djdavies83 wrote:
>
> > I started playing with RFID tags using my Galaxy Note3, turns out the
> > mifare, myflare? Are not compatible with a lot of mobiles.
>
> Yes RFID != NFC, there is a big overlap, but they are not strictly the
> same.
>
> Mifare is a proprietary (NXP) standard within the ISO14443 standard
> NFC is a different standard within ISO14443
>
> Mobile phones have NFC support, some of them use chips made by NXP to do
> this, which means they also support the mifare standard. Phones/devices
> that get the NFC support from Broadcom or others do not support it.
>
> btw Mifare is the basis of oystercard, the dutch chipkaart, and many
> many other transport and door access systems around the world.
>
> Hope that clarifies things for you :)

Mob: 07836 267426