[Swansea Hackspace] Raspberry Pi laptop

Emyr Morris em at preseli.com
Mon Oct 27 15:52:42 GMT 2014

I've given up trying to use one with a screen in a meaningful way - I
mostly use SSH access to mine now.

I picked up a copy of "Raspberry Pi The Complete Manual",
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/news/raspberry-pi-complete-manual-out-now

quite expensive given that all the tutorials in the book are in the public
domain.

Some of the tutorials were faulty and online research got me back on track
- but it was and still is a handy reference to have on the coffee table.
Useful as a lot of the firewalling 'iptables' stuff I hadn't done in years
and had forgotten - other things were new.

All in all it was fun to try out the different tutorials and get the little
Pi to perform tricks (some of them really worked well) - running Tor was
fun! Not something I would do day to day.

The one project that will probably end up as a permanent feature is the
making of a 'hotspot' - I can see me installing the Pi in my camper van to
hook up to wired ethernet now available at some campsite hookup points to
provide me with wifi in-van, this will give me superior firewall protection
from other campsite users (which a standard wireless access point wouldn't
provide) (I know commercial alternatives exist but none are as much fun of
making it yourself using a Pi)

I thought I had a PDF copy of the book but I cannot find it at the moment
sorry. In my humble opinion it is worth paying for if only to help feed the
people who produced it (even though it was all plagiarised off the interweb)

Later

Emyr

On 27 October 2014 00:13, Ian Bullfrog <sevendev.tk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I just got my raspberry Pi I inherited from someone working
> yesterday via Noobs and Raspbian!
> oh yes!
> and have been sticking things in a bag for it, tiny mouse, keyboard etc
> etc.
> So a bit excited :)
>
> and Yeah ive heard of this project, seen it, but not seen this page, didnt
> realise it was going for funding etc, id seen it many months ago.
>
> but the website! sheesh!
> Im connected via my phone to browse.
> i only get 500MB data a month.
> thats about 16.8 MB a day.
> .....this site sucked over 13, without any videos runnning, before I had
> to pull the plug on my connection and bin it.
> so,
> ill check the rest out again :)
>
> and yeah, Im quite interested in teh Pi, if anyone has anything going with
> one of them, let me know :)
> IVe just got the programming with python book from teh library for the
> raspberry pi, so shall start that :)
>
> oh, and does anyone know what smallish screen is recommended for one?
> and ive realised that you need to create a config.txt file on the card in
> order to get it to work with NON HDMI screens, such as my HDMI to VGA
> converter to use a standard monitor.
>
> anyone got experience of this?
>
> ok cheerio

Mob: 07836 267426