[Swansea Hackspace] CNC Mill Progress

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Oct 29 11:48:21 GMT 2014

O> I have seen suggestions that MDF is bad because of the fine dust,
> although someone (sorry i forgot who) donated an old vacuum cleaner to
> use with it.

MDF is very very flat so while it does need proper ventilation it's
commonly used as a bed (and you are not supposed to saw the bed up). All
wood dust however is supposed to be dealt with properly. It varies
between yew and laburnum (which can kill you) to stuff like bamboo which
is only an irritant under low exposures.

Under high exposures most sawdust is linked to nose cancers and asthma
which is why commercial wood shops all have those big hoover things on
the bandsaws etc.

Alan