[Swansea Hackspace] New Project - Powerpack for a laptop

ioan hill shrug123 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 12 12:58:43 BST 2014

Hello everyone,

My name is Ioan Hill, I came to the opening evening for the first time on Monday. I subscribed to the mailing list and have been following some of the things going on.

 I might be of use with this project. I have researched a lot into 18650 cells, and have recently been dismantling 'dead' laptop batteries bought cheaply off ebay. I now have around two hundred 18650 cells, and from the ones I have tested so far, I'm guessing half of them will be in a good condition. I would be happy to supply some cells for this project. Each cell weighs about 45 grams, so that's something to work with when considering the weight of this pack. I also have lots of the circuit boards from inside the laptop batteries. These have things like thermistors, charging circuit and chips etc, which you can have.

If you want to buy cells, I would not recommend the '4000mAh' ultrafire cells. There's no chance they're 4 Ah, much more like half that, 2Ah or less. They are cheap, but low quality and there are many fakes on the market. If you are looking for performance, the best cells are "Panasonic NCR 18650B", They have a capacity of around 3,300mAh (3.2 to 3.4Ah). There is no higher capacity cell commercially available. They are actually the closest you can buy to the cells used in the Tesla Model S. They are more expensive though, around £5 per cell.

So if you want performance, go for NCR18650B, AT £5 per cell and 3.3Ah

If you want value, I can supply second hand (but still perfectly good!) 2Ah cells for £1-2 each (cheaper than online+tested).

Also I'd be glad to help in other ways with the design of the pack. For example I suggest making the cells inside easily replaceable so when an individual cell inevitably fails, the whole pack is not lost!

Good luck with your project Richard. Perhaps I will see you at the sugru event tonight!

Kind regards,

Ioan