[Swansea Hackspace] Arduino Uno interface to a 3D printer stepper motor.

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Sat May 9 16:08:55 BST 2015

On Sat, 2015-05-09 at 14:09 +0100, Tim Moore wrote:
> What sort of current can a A4988 carry ?
>

> Many thanks for responding.
>

> (Can it support the Stepper Motor I'm using?)

Looking back through the archive...

> 28BYJ-48
5 wire unipolar - no

> 17HS16-2004S NEMA 17
4 wire bipolar stepper
Most definitely yes

This is exactly the kind of motor used in 3d printers, and the A4988 is
one of the most common things used in 3d printer control boards.

https://www.pololu.com/product/1182
Motor drive: 8v to 32v
Motor current:
 uncooled: 1A per coil
 heatsink/forced air: 2A per coil.

the little trim pot you see on the board adjusts the built in current
limiter.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item//32296096239.html
87p including postage, cheaper in quantity.

no complex phasing or other driver code required, just supply one pulse
per step required, logic inputs to select direction and step size if
wanted.