[Swansea Hackspace] Zigbee and Raspberry Pi

Thomas Lake tswsl1989 at sucs.org
Thu Dec 1 12:24:39 GMT 2016

On 01/12/16 12:18, Richard Morgan wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm preparing for my next hack-project and I was wondering if there's a
> suitable Zigbee interface for the Raspberry Pi that anyone has come across?
>
> Ideally I want to look at using the Raspberry Pi to talk to a Smart
> Meter-Home Area Network which uses Zigbee.

You can get adapters for Zigbee that let you connect them to USB or
Serial (DB9/RS232) ports. They either spit the data out directly or as
packets, depending on what mode the devices are in - although that's a
detail for the software side rather than the hardware side.

Not sure if anyone has made a dedicated Raspberry Pi interface, but you
could probably adapt the RS232 connection if you can't use the USB one
for some reason.

- Tom