[Swansea Hackspace] Sources of components

Tim Clark eclipse at sucs.org
Tue May 17 13:38:55 BST 2016

On 17/05/2016 13:24, Justin Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-05-17 at 13:08 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:
>> I am wondering what people think of as good companies to buy basic
>> electronic components from?
>>
>> Cost, Postal charges and delivery times/ methods etc.
> IMHO :-
>
> Cheapest & Slowest
> aliexpress.com
>
> Most things are available, usually free postage, takes 2 to 3 weeks to
> arrive, small stuff may need to be bought in bulk, eg resistors you can
> only buy 100 of at the least, but thats 48p delivered.
sometimes takes more than 3 weeks if you get your timing wrong and clash
with Chinese new year

There is also bangood which has a much more limited selection but are
often cheap for the things they have and you can usually pay a small
amount for faster shipping.
> Faster & cheap
> cpc.co.uk
> A branch of farnell, they stock a subset of farnell stuff, minimum order
> quantity of £5 to get free postage. they have most common parts and
> delivery in a few days.
>
> More exotic & fastest
> farnell.co.uk  minimum order is £20 but you can get stuff the next day,
> they have a huge range of stock, but that minimum order bites.
Note that Farnell lists everything ex vat, that includes the £20 min
delivery, and delivery is £3.95 for orders less than £20

On the topic of the big players there is also rs-online which claims to
offer free next day delivery, but there selection and prices are a bit
rubbish so I've never ordered form them.
> Last resort:
> Ebay, stick to UK sellers only as they dont have the escrow that
> aliexpress do, sometimes you can find small quantities of what you need,
> but often at inflated prices.
Sometimes I find that aliexpress/ebay are the same price or even more
expensive than the likes of Farnell for some things, so be careful and
don't blindly assume they are cheaper