[Swansea Hackspace] Looking for PSU desoldering/resoldering help

Rhys Jones rhys at newydd.net
Mon Apr 3 07:31:12 BST 2017

> They normally just pour out smoke but the room stinks for days
> afterwards.

Yes, you're right. I hadn't realised that there is a safety standard that
stops such capacitors from bursting into flames when they fail.
http://blog.jgc.org/2011/11/my-bbc-micro-model-b-and-plume-of-acrid.html

> If you get stuck I can help but there is or was a person on the
> internet to whom you can send your PSU and he'll send you a fixed one
> back for quite a reasonable price.

Out of courtesy I thought I should update people - I decided to send it
away. Mark from retroclinic.com managed to turn it round in one working
day. Cost was £28 plus the parts I already had, inclusive of the UPS fees
there and back. Royal Mail would have been slightly cheaper, I think, but I
didn't feel like risking that.

This also means that Alan can spend the time carrying on with the FUZIX
port instead :)

If anyone else is getting into this sort of thing, I also really highly
recommend retroclinic's DataCentre, whether you fit it internally or
externally: an awesome bit of kit, considered by most Beeb-heads to be a
better option than the rather overpriced TurboMMC.

all the best,
Rhys

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>