[Swansea Hackspace] Hackspace Digest, Vol 50, Issue 6

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Wed Feb 22 09:50:03 GMT 2017

On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 20:18 +0000, Tim Luther Lewis wrote:
> I brought in a bunch of atmel avr32 boards a few months ago. I have
> around 50 of these in total (from a friend who works an an embedded
> systems place - they didn't need them) and I was labouring under the
> misunderstanding that I needed to burn an image on to an SD card to
> get them working. Turns out, I was wrong: they have busybox flashed
> on to the devices and you're supposed to cross compile from a
> win/linux PC. You can ssh (root, pw: roota) on to the devices but you
> may need to override a fail safe by doing this (it turns out that the
> ssh implementation on the device is no longer considered secure -
> never mind, it's on a local network) like this:
> ssh -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 root at whateveripitsat
>
> once you're connected, type 'roota' as the password and you're in.
> I figure that if I can work out some use for these, I've got so many
> of them we could re-purpose them as hardware controllers, army of
> robots etc.

If you have several of them then this would be a nice thing to run as a
workshop, just organise an informal evening where interested folks can
get together and have a go at programming them and writing some simple
test code.

To organise any kind of workshop or craft session just take a look at
the upcoming meetings list, pick a day thats not already been claimed
and let me know, i will make sure it gets listed and advertised. It's
that simple.

If you, that is any of you in our growing band of members out there,
ever find yourself thinking that you wish more people knew about this
neat thing you have discovered or learned, please do consider sharing
it via a workshop.

Running a workshop does not require presentations and handouts, it can
be as low key and informal as you like. Some of the most fun workshops
have started with "I have a pile of these $foo, I have figured out how
to do $this so far, lets see what else we can find"