[Swansea Hackspace] Hackspace website, logo etc...

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Mon Jul 17 10:04:49 BST 2017

On Mon, 2017-07-17 at 06:47 +0100, Nathan Hackett wrote:
> I've got some time this week to start on some website redesign stuff.
> Just wanted to get the ok from the powers that be before I put any
> serious hours in. :) Mainly cosmetic, with mobile specific CSS to
> make it a bit easier to navigate. Maybe some nice photos that are
> actually from the current space (halp Tim pls). Nothing earth-
> shattering. Happy to take direction.

That would be great, it could really do with some tidying up.

I have a copy of the site setup somewhere for experimentation, i will
make sure its up to date and give you access to it, you can then see
how the templates and css are setup and experiment with it.

another challenge if anyone is upto it is finding a better way to
organise the page tree. there is a lot of information on the website if
you dig for it, but it isnt that well laid out. the ideal would be some
way to make it quick and easy to access it, whilst at the same time not
overwhelming visitors with options and clutter.

> There was lots of talk at the AGM about a membership push later in
> the year when the students get back from summer, would be nice to
> have everything looking shiny by then. Also did a tweaked logo which
> might be good on some tshirts... (halp Liz pls).
> http://nathanhackett.com/hackspace-logo.png
>
> For reference the current logo-
> http://swansea.hackspace.org.uk/uploads/Resources/Downloads/logo.svg

I am not keen on the circuit tracing pattern to the green, it implies
an emphasis on electronics whilst offering nothing towards the large
amount of textiles and other crafting that goes on.

It would be nice however to define an official set of logos for
different uses, so far we have just ad-libed when needed, but a
definitive set of files on the website for people to grab would be
really useful.

I envisage three versions:

1) Full logo, for full colour media, posters, website, bookmarks etc:
   - red, green, white, copper ring
2) Low color, for screen printing, vinyl cutouts etc:
   - red, green, assumption of white background
3  Mono logo, for engraving/stamping/stencils etc
   - single colour