[Swansea Hackspace] ESP8266 Door Bell

Gerrit Niezen gerrit.niezen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 10:32:32 BST 2017

Hi Matt,

I'm building an ESP8266 button too, not as a door bell, but to switch my VPN off when I want to watch Netflix. I'm using Peter Jenning's "The Button" (https://benlo.com/esp8266/esp8266Projects.html <https://benlo.com/esp8266/esp8266Projects.html>) as a base to work from. As an interesting aside, Peter Jennings is the guy behind 1970s MicroChess and VisiCalc (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_R._Jennings <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_R._Jennings>).

His design has the switch break the entire circuit when it's off, so that you can run it of 2xAAA batteries without a voltage regulator. Total cost <£5 including enclosure, so cheaper than an Amazon Dash button.

I'm busy designing a PCB in Fritzing and will probably just mill it on the hackspace's CNC mill. For suggested board house, I think you may find the manufacturing links on the hackspace website very helpful: http://swansea.hackspace.org.uk/Resources/Links <http://swansea.hackspace.org.uk/Resources/Links> . I can personally recommend http://ragworm.eu/ <http://ragworm.eu/> as I've used them before.

Cheers,
Gerrit