[Swansea Hackspace] LEDs failed in my World Globe nightlight

Richard Morgan richard.morgan at avocation.co.uk
Sun Sep 3 16:13:49 BST 2017

Hi Hackspace List,
I have a ‘Discovery Channel’ globe nightlight that was bought years ago.

It rotates through a range of coloured light that illuminates from inside the globe. It’s now only showing RED light which is not ideal for my Son’s nightlight.

I’ve opened it up and the problem appears to be the green(?) and blue LEDs are failing. Some slight illumination from a couple of the  non-red LEDs as it cycles through the colours and strong illumination from the reds.

I’ve included some images of the PCB with the LEDs on it. I’d like to remove the current non-red LEDs and replace with new ones to see if this fixes it….but…..
How do I know which side to solder in the long leg of the LED to the PCB? There are markings on the PCB where the LEDs solder in.
Should I also replace the red LEDs at the same time?
How plausible is it that the non-red LEDs are failing at the same time due to the LEDs themselves failing? I could go through and replace the LEDs and find no benefit as something else is amiss.

How else might I troubleshoot this problem and what else could it be?

All help gratefully received,

Thanks,

Richard