[Swansea Hackspace] Flip-Dot Display Group Project: Update

Peter Barnes pe5erb at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:47:50 BST 2018

Justin/Gwion,

Have you documented which pins do what, the voltages and currents
> required, etc ?

Yes, Tom has put together a full schematic in KiCad for the display, which
along with exported logic analysis from a scope at uni has allowed us to
figure out which pins do what.

I looked at the project page you listed but it only points to other
> peoples similar projects.

I've just updated the Project Page
<https://swansea.hackspace.org.uk/Main/Projects> with all of this new
information, so that should make a lot more sense now.

Is there scope for a camera to be added and used render a live B&W feed to
> the frame as some sort of crude view finder?

Absolutely! We are planning to use a computer or raspberry pi to control
the billboard, so we could integrate a camera and do some processing on it,
or use something like openCV for facial tracking.

See this video from CES <https://youtu.be/SJU2-1X8kHQ?t=1m21s>, where they
used PrimeSense cameras to do facial tracking, and then displayed an avatar
on the flip dot billboard.

Other giant panel <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSdiop75jIg> / other
other giant panel <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxL4SK3B4lY>

Once we have developed a reliable control system for each panel, that will
act as a hardware abstraction layer, making the fronted programming much
easier.

Regards,

Peter Barnes
MØSWN <http://m0swn.uk>