[Swansea Hackspace] DNS help

Neil Jones neil at aurinia.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 10:15:48 BST 2018

Hi everyone,

I am setting up some websites on a VPS. My first step is to put a single
domain name on it and set it up to be a primary DNS server for itself
and eventually the other sites. These are basically hobby/ charity sites
which I do.

I am hitting problems. I believe that I have BInd operating without any
errors. but I still find that dig domainname.com is still returning a
servfail.

Does anyone here have any experience with doing this themselves?

To clarify. I have set up logging. It is showing no errors. I have
looked in the syslog when I restart Bind and there are now no errors.
There were some initially but I fixed these.

When I enable logging the logs just contain the same messages as the syslog,

I would have thought that this is a fairly normal thing to do but the
stuff you google is only of limited help. Particularly in debugging a
problem when the tools just say it isn't working not what precisely isn'
working.

Neil