[Swansea Hackspace] Laser cutter kerf

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Thu Mar 1 12:27:11 GMT 2018

The simplest one someone can do in an evening,
use a scrap of wood or plastic, cut into an elongated L shape, so it
has a little lip that can be hung on the top of the rail or lens
holder.

put a piece of scrap wood or card in the machine with one end propped
up, making a gradual slope.

engrave or cut a straight line up the slop.

without disturbing it, look where the cut is at its narrowest

shorten the L shape until it is at that height when resting on the
chosen guide point.

and there you have it, you can now quickly check the height of the bed
for your chosen material, have it touch the surface for engraving, have
it midway through for cutting.

I have been meaning to make one myself for a long time, but always seem
to get distracted when i'm actually in the space.