[Swansea Hackspace] Storage Improvements

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Sat Mar 3 16:09:31 GMT 2018

At the last Hack-the-Space day we discussed the increasing problem of
storage and finding items, too many items are stuffed in odd drawers
and cupboards and not well labelled, so it becomes difficult to tell
what we have and to locate what we do.

It was also noted that at the far end of the room where the textiles
work area is currently located the lighting is quite poor, both from
windows and from ceiling lighting.

The proposed solution to both problems is to swap the computers and
textiles section around, and to build a custom shelving unit inbetween
them to better store items.

We want to build something from wall to wall, and floor to as high as
we can reach, which will hold a grid of storage boxes.
As in this picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6VY8LD0GxaIJYe823

These storage boxes will be marked with coloured stripes that instantly
indicate their correct location, and labels to indicate contents.

Now, we need some volunteers that are handy with their woodwork, that
can help construct it, and to plan what materials we will need so we
can have it ready to go at the next HtS day (5th May)

The space we plan to fit it in is 260cm wide and 242cm high, and the
shelf will need to be as deep as the storage boxes we select.

Anyone with suitable skills ?
Proposals for the structure and materials to use ?
A cheap supply of plastic storage boxes ?