[Swansea Hackspace] Bike front derailliers

David Davies-Day djdavies83 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 11 14:06:44 GMT 2018

If you're looking for cheap and friendly, Re-cycle (behind The Mill pub, just up from the Westbourne) do new and used parts and their labour charges and really good.

Your front derailleur is not going down into the smaller gears on its own and needs a push?

The spring is not strong enough to pull it down after you change down and let more cable into it,  could be one of the following.

1. The inner cable has rusted slightly inside the outer cable and is causing friction that is too much for the spring.

2. Pivot points of the derailleur have corroded and are causing too much friction for the spring.

3. The gear shifter is not letting the inner cable out fast enough, possibly corrosion.

4. Any combination of the above.

Most are easily remedied,  Wilkinson do cheap reaplcement inner cable, usually really simple to change the front, I've done mine while the bike is still locked up outside the store front.

No animals were harmed in the making of this email. However, several thousand electrons were severely inconvenienced.