[Swansea Hackspace] Things network Swansea

Paul Harwood paul at harwood-leon.com
Fri May 25 16:20:29 BST 2018

We’ll stick it on the roof to try and get as much out of it as possible. But yeah, the signal will get absorbed if it is low down. Perhaps could be boosted with a powered antenna.

Record I think is 13km in holland.

independent article :

In a typical LoRaWAN network, range depends on numerous factors—indoor/outdoor gateways, payload of the message, antenna used, etc. On average, in an urban environment with an outdoor gateway, you can expect up to 2- to 3-km-wide coverage, while in the rural areas it can reach beyond 5 to 7 km. In some cases, extremely long range is also attainable—ref: 702 km!

LoRa’s range depends on “radio line-of-sight.” Radio waves in the 400- to 900-MHz range may pass through some obstructions, depending on their composition, but will be absorbed or reflected otherwise.  This means that the signal can potentially reach as far as the horizon, as long as there are no physical barriers to block it. Elevating LoRa devices—placing them on rooftops or mountaintops, for example—will maximize their range. Other factors, such as antenna gain, will also have a large impact on range.