[Swansea Hackspace] TTN Swansea first LoRaWan AP

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Wed May 30 10:55:58 BST 2018

On Wed, 2018-05-30 at 00:28 +0100, Paul Harwood wrote:
> Hi
>
> With huge thanks to Gerrit and Matthew (Gall), we borrowed a few
> connectors, diagnosed a badly fitted RF module and now we have the
> have the humble beginnings of an Things network in Swansea.
>
> this is the model:
>
> https://shop.thethingsnetwork.com/index.php/product/the-things-gatewa
> y/
>
> The window in the picture below looks out over Port Talbot, it's
> facing the Swansea University Bay Campus - no idea of range, but feel
> free to use it. I’m going to get some bits from the marketplace
> (maybe an air quality sensor) to test out.
>
> https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/u/walletsystems
>
> there is a map on there of the gateways locally under the gateways
> tab. I am trying to set up a community under the http://hackthecity.i
> o project.

Congrats on being the first to get something going in Swansea,
there had been musings on the subject for quite a while but nothing
came of it.

No sign of your gateway on ttnmapper.org yet, would be nice to see how
far away it can be heard. if you have a battery powered device that can
talk to it, send someone out with it and the mobile phone app and get
some map points added :)

I'm still waiting on delivery of some LoRa radios for the 868MHz band,
once i've got them up and running I will run a workshop on how to build
simple lorawan enabled devices for anyone thats interested, should
hopefully be a suitable followup to the wifi-IoT one i ran last month.