[Swansea Hackspace] Polycarbonate etching

Andy Rush andymrush at live.co.uk
Fri Jun 7 10:24:02 BST 2019

I've been meaning to try it, but haven't as most of the polycarbonate I own is in tube form and way too long to fit into the cutter. The internet suggests that it's doable, but isn't recommended, mainly due to polycarbonate's IR absorbing properties leaving a terrible surface finish. I would recommend the CNC machine as an alternative, but apparently, Polycarbonate is significantly easier to machine with larger diameter bits than smaller ones, so that's probably out as an option for a "light etch"

Honestly, I think you might be better off just carefully painting your pattern on. Or scoring it by hand with an xacto.

my two cents.

Lightsaber Andy