[Swansea Hackspace] ( URGENT)Rule problems

Neil Jones neil at aurinia.co.uk
Wed May 1 18:17:22 BST 2019

I have some concerns about the rule changes that are proposed at
tonight's AGM and I thought it best in a spirit of comradely openness
that I  should post to the list before hand. In this way we can deal
with matters in a cool headed and sensible manner.

A bit of background I have been a trustee and/or director of several
large charitable organisations. We are talking about organisations with
lots of volunteers and members and large numbers of staff ( up to 100+)
and annual turnovers in the millions.

Over the years I dealt with lots of policies relating to discipline and
grievances in one way or another. I also dealt with dismissing staff for
misconduct and expelling voluntary members.

It is important to realise is that fundamentally these rules are not
just to stop people misbehaving, but they are to protect the Hackspace
legally. If you deal with someone unfairly under the law then you can be
sued.

Currently there  are all sorts of problems. There is no procedure for
dealing for when a director is being complained about or is the person
making the complaint or there is another conflict of interest. There is
no proper system of ensuring that someone gets a hearing. As it stands a
complaint can be made and considered without the person being complained
about even knowing that there has been a complaint. These things are
contrary to the principles of natural justice.

This wikipedia article gives a good outline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_justice

There are also issues with definitions as currently it is going to be
against the rules to advocate Linux over Windows ,for example. That may
be a trivial example but the problem with having rules that don't work
properly is when someone finds a non-trivial example of an overstated
rule and uses it against you.

In one of the organisations I was involved in a member who believed he
and friends had been badly treated, used his legal skills to force the
organisation to commence High Court action against them. It was an
absolute nightmare and the person who did it is also an activist known
for his hacking abilities in that he has created systems for on-line
activism that have attracted international attention. The sort of person
who joins hackspaces.

The Hackspace would not be able to survive any kind of  lawsuit and I am
unsure of the liabilities of directors either. Just as we need to follow
proper Health and Safety procedures to protect the space and its
directors. We need to have legally sound disciplinary and conduct rules
to do the same thing.  As proposed the rules won't work.

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to send this earlier, I genuinely
think I need to say this openly before the meeting and I didn't realise
the problem's complexity early enough.

Neil