[Swansea Hackspace] [Notice] We're moving out - End of the Wind Street Space

Paul Harwood paul at harwood-leon.com
Tue Sep 8 13:33:57 BST 2020

Hi,

As an admirer of Hackspace’s community from afar, I would humbly like to offer my advice around the current situation with an “if I were you” summary of what I think could work. You may already be considering these options, apologies if there is repetition.

- I would consolidate the position of hackspace and park the community by storing the equipment and asking the community to contribute that storage
- Run a community audit, where you audit the value of the community to the local economy and start to build up a financial picture
- Run a crowd fund and approach WCVA and/or other entities like UWTSD with enough of a case to raise a small capital position that allows Hackspace to BUY a property with a commercial mortgage
- consider anything! Mothballed Ships are fairly cheap and can be moored in the docks at a long term lease, containers are cheap to buy, think laterally and be creative, the more engaging the idea for the new hackspace, the more newsworthy and the more attractive to funders
- This would free up the community from the problem of a landlord, admittedly increasing other costs and burdens, but this would be a platform for a more credible entity. Easy and cheap landlord deals can seem good until you have to move out the 5th time
- Alternatively, try to strike a long term (+10 yr) fixed deal with a landlord, but with the above in place (including the capital position for fit out), factoring in growth and shrinkage into the contract

We have been hit hard by COVID19 in TechHub and we are just about surviving, but it means some tough decisions to remain viable. Long term thinking seems a luxury I know, but it is worth it now to put in the foundations for the next 20 years of the hackspace.

It would be an incredible shame to see the hackspace community be thinned out because it couldn’t find a suitable venue, as communities are so hard to build and nurture in this part of the world.

— Paul