[Swansea Hackspace] What next

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Sat Mar 23 20:24:38 GMT 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-23 at 18:08 +0000, Neil Jones wrote:

> There is a possible item of "where roughly should we be aiming to have
> the hackspace."

My thoughts and discussions on this subject so far are that it needs to
be somewhere fairly central, in the SA2 or SA1 region.

The majority of industrial unit type spaces seem to be a fair way out of
town, llansamlet area or further, now whilst they are nice big spaces
with good parking they pretty much suck for public transport access,
especially out of business hours.

I think that if we are to attract the widest range of members then that
is highly likely to include those to which transport is an issue.

>From searching the council provided listings (as someone already listed
on here) there are a number of shop units and small office spaces around
the town, in areas like sandfields, brynmill, walter road type areas
which are relatively cheap and close to busy bus routes and other
amenities.

As for funding, well that's going to depend heavily on how many people
are likely to be able to commit to paying a membership, and how much it
costs to rent a suitably sized space.

I believe that a contingent in the university that are on this list have
investigated if there is any space available there, which may well have
come cheaply, but i don't think there was any success so far ?

Re: tools etc, i had hoped to get a feeling for this with my initial
statement of what people expected from a hackspace, i didnt get many
share with us their expectations or aspirations.