[Swansea Hackspace] Outreach letter

Andrew Price welshbyte at sucs.org
Fri Oct 11 12:50:06 BST 2013

On 11/10/13 12:28, Justin Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 11:12 +0100, Andrew Price wrote:
>
>> Yes, I think it's definitely worth mentioning that the hackspace will
>> have tools and equipment but I'd prefer to avoid including any
>> exhaustive-sounding lists because it limits the kind of immediate
>> interest we attract.
>
> It would be really great to see the group diversify into more artistic
> areas; textiles, craft, jewellery, etc
>
> My fear is that just now (more specifically: before we have a space)
> that if we attract the attention of these people, they will look and see
> that we don't have anything to offer them right now, and never come
> back.

Well this is why I'm trying to make it clear in the letter that we don't
have a hackspace yet and that we're focusing on building a community
rather than an us-and-them situation where one group has to provide a
service to others.

If they're only interested in the physical hackspace then they can maybe
watch for future developments and then get on board later but if they
value interacting with people with common interests then we already have
something to offer them.

> Once we have a space, and we can offer more* to people, i will be
> amongst the first to push us to advertise far and wide and to be as
> inclusive of other creative groups as possible.

I think it's worth being inclusive from the outset before we start to
look like just an electronics/programming club. As long as we manage
expectations well and don't make any promises we can't deliver it
shouldn't do us any harm.

Andy