[Swansea Hackspace] Kit,money,turning up :)

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 15:47:06 BST 2014

On Wed, 2014-07-09 at 10:06 +0100, Ian Bullfrog wrote:
> Hello, a few questions and stuff.
>
> Sorry about missing the grand launch-Im pretty crap with dates and
> unless I get prodded before and then on the day, I tend to miss things.
> nuts. feel free to prod me when things are on :)
Every event gets posted here, on facebook, on google+, on twitter.

> Arduino, or Raspberry pi or both>?
> Is there a preference of one over the other and why or whatever.IVe just
> picked up a book from Pontardawe library on the Pi and programming it in
> Python. Id like to try and learn Python, so that seems like a reasonable
> excuse to git it a try :)
>
> which to get?
Depends what you are going to be doing with it.

RPi is a small cheap linux computer that can do some limited IO.

Arduino is a small 8bit computer that can do huge amounts of IO and a
few bits of being a computer, but has no OS.

> there are several Arduino boards that I have seen, not sure about
> raspberry pi,
> but
> I checked out maplins, then ebay (of course) big price difference. Do
> you guys also have a favourite source or can supply them yourselves from
> somewhere too?
Arduino Uno is the default one, I have a supply of them for sale in the
space.  RPi should probably be sourced direct from RS

> Money.
> can I pop along to a view events/meetins first to check that I like the
> set up and that I dont annoy you more than I usually annoy people?
Open night & Social is every monday at 7pm.

> curses. - I missed the printer workshop on saturday. still , I now know
> where the venue is ( on paper) are there people milling around during
> the day or whatever

Only guaranteed time is when there are advertised events, apart from
that its only when a keyholder is there.

> ps does anyone fancy going to that techie festival that someone posted a
> link too on here?

EMF camp does look interesting, but its £105 a person and involves
camping which i am way to old to be attempting :)