[Swansea Hackspace] Minimal and bespoke TV remote control

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Jun 22 15:11:38 BST 2015

On Mon, 2015-06-22 at 14:51 +0100, Gerrit Niezen wrote:

> Justin:
> - I saw an e-ink keyboard concept last week - still not sure if it’s
> vapourware or not:
> http://www.solidsmack.com/design/new-sonder-e-ink-keyboard-changes-hot-keys-as-you-change-digital-tools/ If I could get hold of the buttons they’re using for that keyboard it would be pretty cool!

Reminds me of the older, and fabulously expensive Maximus keyboard made
by Art Lebedev, an oled display in each keycap.

> - What button sets would you need?
most devices need menu, next/prev, play/pause, volup/voldown, and
direction pad controls, but an amp has some unique things like input
source and sound mode controls that get used a lot.

> - I haven’t heard of HDMI-CEC before, googled it and realised that
> it’s because I don’t have a “smart” TV and because every manufacturer
> has a different name for it (EasyLink, SimpLink, Aquos Link, Bravia
> Sync etc. etc.)
tv, bluray and chromecast all respond to the tv controller, amp would if
it wasnt so old, and sky box claims CEC support now as well.