[Swansea Hackspace] Difficulty with German word

Neil Jones neil at aurinia.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 16:32:37 BST 2016

Hi Herbert,

I am looking at buying an old book from 1936 on line. It is written in
German and my German isn't actually good enough to be truthful,
but I am looking at trying to learn it properly at some point which in 2
years of studying it in school I got nowhere near,
I am working on a long term project to try to build a large website
documenting all the world's butterflies using old texts as a source with
some AI stuff I hope will work to help in various ways. To get started I
am trying some of the lower hanging fruit. and this book is a comprehensive
taxonomic work on a significant species.
I have located a copy on line at  reasonable price but I am having a
little difficulty with the words in the description.
I wonder if you can help

Buch im altersbedingt guten Zustand, Bucheinband ein wenig eingerissen,
Seiten und Bucheinband altersbedingt nachgedunkelt, Seiten leicht anrissig

I translate this as Book in good condition relative to its age, Book
cover a little torn. Pages and book cover darkened with age. Pages
easily SOMETHING.

The something is the problem. I can't find a decent translation for
"anrissig". I have been able to find "anriss" as crack which suggests
that it is easly cracked or something, but I am always cautious in
extrapolating with words given that language can be so idiomatic. I
always think of awsome and awful which originally had similar meanings
but drifted apart.

If I do get it I might actually get down to learnning a bit more German
which is an aim of mine.

Best wishes

Neil