[Swansea Hackspace] Storage Improvements

Justin Mitchell justin at swansea.hackspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 5 09:07:03 GMT 2018

On Sun, 2018-03-04 at 11:33 +0000, Aled wrote:
> If the shelves only need access from one side some thin ply or
> hardboard on the back would give enough bracing to make it plenty
> sturdy. MDF for shelves is no good it would just bend and warp under
> the weight and wouldn't last, it also needs to be completely sealed
> and is pretty nasty stuff in general.
> I can bring a circular saw down if we do need to break down some ply
> sheets.
>
> Personally if I was building shelves to hold plastic boxes I'd use
> hardwood and rout grooves to run the edges of the boxes in (IKEA
> style) but that might be beyond the budget we have. Alternatively a
> simple carcase with just battens to run the boxes on would work the
> same and alleviates the issue of shelves entirely.

It would only be accessed from one side.

I think battens would be fine as the shelves as it will only be for
boxes.

Haven't identified a suitable box yet to know if it could be easily
mounted on runners.

As i said, it will be several weeks before we actually built it, at the
next hack the space day as its too disruptive to do on a monday. but it
would be nice to have a plan and all the materials ready for then.